Engaging in weight loss methods helps in reducing disease risks. Nevertheless, when you burn fat and lose too much weight, you might risk loose skin. It may interfere with the quality of life since some people may develop discomfort and self-consciousness.
Causes of Loose Skin after Weight Loss
Your skin expands during significant weight gain to make room for increased growth. When skin remains stretched for a long time, elastin fibers and collagen are damaged making them lose their ability to reverse.
When you lose weight, the excess skin is left hanging from the body. The more you lose weight, the more you experience more loose skin.
Factors that influence the Elasticity of Skin Loss
- Time. If you had obese or overweight for a long time, the skin will be more loser after weight loss because of collagen and elastin loss.
- Age. Older people have less collagen and get looser after losing weight.
- Genetics. Your genes may affect how your skin responds to weight gain and loss.
- Sun exposure. It reduces elastin production and skin collagen resulting in loose skin.
- Smoking. It leads to decreased production of collagen and damages existing collagen contributing to loose and sagging skin.
Problems Related to Excess Loose Skin
- Decreased physical activity. Excess skin interferes with your daily exercise routine.
- Physical discomfort. People who lose a lot of weight may feel uncomfortable leading to normal activity interference.
- Skin irritation and breakdown. People who go through tight skin after weight loss surgery may have skin pains and ulcers.
- Poor body image. Loose skin may cause negative effects on your mood and body image.
Natural Methods of tightening Loose skin
Engage in resistance training
Take part in strength training, an effective method to enhance muscle building in both older adults and young people. Increased muscle mass may aid in improving loose skin appearance.
Take bone broth which is a source of collagen. Also, processed collagen may have a protective effect on your skin’s collagen.
Take nutrients and remain hydrated
Some nutrients are essential in collagen production.
Use firming creams
These creams increase maturation, proliferation, and skin cell turnover.
Massage the area
Massaging the loose skin increases the blood flow and helps prevent anti-aging effects.
Medical Treatments to Tighten Loose Skin
This surgery involves removing excess skin and fat. It will improve your quality of life after weight loss.
After losing a lot of weight, you can undergo multiple surgeries on different body parts. It is one of the weight loss methods that require you to recover.
To reduce loose skin, this method uses infrared light radiofrequency and massage. It can help minimize fat cell areas.
It’s a lower invasive option to remove loose skin.
Body-contouring is the most effective medical treatment procedure to get rid of excess skin that comes after a major weight loss. Radiofrequency and ultrasound are not effective compared to surgery.
Loose skin may make someone self-conscious, leading to discomfort. If the loose skin is bothering you, consider looking for a treatment to have it removed.
When you have lost a small amount of weight, the skin is likely to reverse on its own, and natural remedies can be more suitable. But if it’s drastic, you may have to consider the suggestions above.